January 17, 2005

Libraries

I'll tell you this much, I really enjoy going to the library. The Coats Public Library is by far one of the nicest libraries I have been in, especially here around Campbell. I would like to build a library before I die, and I think I want it to look a lot like the Coats library. It's small and comfortable, surrounded by a soft and calm community, at least as far as I can tell. I would like to add some really nice comfortable leather chairs and maybe a couch, that would really make it nice. Actually, I will see what I can do about getting some of those donated.
Being near the library was very relaxing, I guess you need to see this one to understand. There were only five people in the library and it was getting near closing time. The librarian, a gentle older lady was there with her husband who came in right behind me to help her close down and probably drive her home. Another visitor was a little girl staying up (it was only 7) to study or play on the computer, I couldn't tell which. There was an older lady who I gathered was a friend of the librarian as they giggled about little librarian things together. And then the last was me, the boy hanging around the biographies of Bill Clinton and John Edwards, then sliding over to Asimov and looking around for Carl Sagan. I find a little treasure I've been looking for a while, Tuesdays With Morrie. I've already read it and then watched the movie, but I don't own the book. I decided a while back that I would like to own it for referencing back to when I have questions. It cost a dollar which is quite worth it even with some kiddy scribbles on a few pages. I grab a movie I really like (to check out) and I hope to show it to some friends who I think will really enjoy it. I tell the librarian how beautiful I think the library is and she goes on to explain some of its history. It's not that old and was a project taken on my an assistant town manager only a few years ago. I might like to talk with him. Libraries are by far one of my favorite institutions, I realize this as I drive back to Campbell. Freedom and education, history of the past and hope in the future, I think the job of a library is very serious business but it is just so fun at the same time, I love it. I am definitely going to build one before I die.