September 29, 2006

Help

It’s incredible to me how songs and surroundings can match what I’m going through in life so seamlessly. I have had The Beatle’s song “Help!” for example, stuck in my mind all day and it has matched my current feelings verse by verse: my need for help from special people, my changing of feelings and perspective as I grow older, my limits of independence and need for interdependence, my appreciation for the people around me, and my home to get my feel back on solid ground. Actually, the songs explains it even better than that:

I need somebody, not just anybody, you know need someone. When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in any way. But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured, Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors. And now my life has changed in oh so many ways, my independence seems to vanish in the haze. But every now and then I feel so insecure, I know that I just need you like I've never done before. Help me if you can, I'm feeling down and I do appreciate you being round. Help me, get my feet back on the ground, won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh...

Growing older is hard, but sometimes asking for help is all we really need to do to get it. I’m glad I’ve been able to do that and I really appreciate the help I’ve been able to get in return.