October 19, 2006

To Be Treated

One of the things I have been reflecting on a lot lately has been appreciation for the people who have helped me to get to where I am. However, it didn't start that way. I started thinking about appreciating others because I was not feeling appreciated by others. One small example is when people talk about the Recycling Program developing at Campbell this year. The SGA has taken it over now that we (Shaw, Heather and I) finished our report to the administration last year explaining all of the research we were able to conduct. When I read articles citing the program's development, numbers, figures and vision I see all of our hard work and research in every sentence. At first I wished Ryan Jones (SGA President) would say my name every time he citing the work that we did. I wanted to be recognized as one of the people who helped found the project and make it possible. Maybe for my reputation, maybe to make me feel good about myself. I'm not sure exactly why, but I felt angry I wasn't being appreciated.

After that thought process came and went, I recognized that there were many other people besides myself who had led to the development of what is now Campbell's Recycling Program, namely Dr. Bartlett, Shaw Rowe, Heather Davis, Dr. Larsen and myself. However there are also many others whose names I have actually even begun to forget. Why didn't I want all of these people's names mentioned in addition to my own? Well, I suppose the answer is that sometimes it is hard to remember everyone who has helped us and even harder to find space to say "thank you" to each of them every time you might should. The more I thought about it, the more I wished Ryan Jones would just recognize and appreciate all of the work we have done and I know in my heart that he is doing just that. Appreciation might not mean outwardly expressing how much we are indebted to others, though sometimes that is appropriate, it might just mean living appreciatively and thankfully for the things that we get in life that have nothing to do with our own reputation, deserved-ness or entitlement. I am very lucky, as are many people I have helped myself, and I hope I can meet their expectations of being grateful for what I have. Even further, I should treat others as I like to be treated and thank them just as often as I want thanks from others.