June 5, 2007

Ideal

What do Google, Disney, Apple, the U.S. Department of State and Peace Corps have in common? Well, according a recent BusinessWeek survey of 44,064 undergraduate students from the Class of 2007, these are the top five "Ideal Employers" to work with after graduation. I find that pretty exciting, but maybe for a reason you might not guess at first.

In the show Lost, which I absolutely love, a character named Goodwin tells Anna Lucia that he was in the Peace Corps. When she asks, "Is that still around?" Goodwin says, "I'm just glad someone your age still knows what it is." So true, I thought. I've heard references made to Peace Corps every now and again, by Stephen Colbert and others, but overall I've gotten the impression that most people have forgotten about the Peace Corps. In the same BusinessWeek survey last year, Peace Corps ranked #138 among "Ideal Employers." Now that it jumped 133 spots to #5, I might have to change my tune about people not knowing about it.

I think Peace Corps is a pretty awesome idea and I am excited to take part in it. I'm also proud to tell people, both inside and outside our country, about what Peace Corps is. I will definitely be keeping everybody up to date with my activities over the next two years through my website and this blog, but it looks like I might not have to do as much publicity for the organization as I thought. Apparently people know about Peace Corps already and that, I think, is quite ideal.