February 15, 2009

Shaping Up

I've been going through a lot of great personal changes here in Mongolia. Maybe most notable is a significant improvement in my level of physical fitness. I feel wonderful, run faster, play longer, lift heavier weights and have more energy on a regular basis than at any other time in my life that I can ever remember. I have lost 60 pounds between May '08 and now, dropping from 255 to 195 and have also lost over 6 inches on my waist, going from a size 44 to 38.

A large part of this, especially recently, has been a commitment to exercising regularly and eating more conservatively. I just finished up the 6th week of my 12 Week Plan, which is getting me into great shape for the 14-day workout cycle designed by the Body Sculpting Bible for Men. I have been lifting weights an hour every morning six days a week, playing basketball weekly, and also cooking and eating healthier foods like oats, pastas, nuts, raw vegetables and fruits. I am also drinking tons of water and cutting back on all other drinks like sodas and so forth. It's making a huge difference in my life, and I really feel like I am starting to shape up. It's a wonderful feeling that spills over into all areas of my life beyond physical health, including mental calmness, emotional balance, and a strong feeling of inner peace. I am excited to continue working out every day for the rest of my life and am glad that being here in Peace Corps has allowed me the time to dedicate myself to this very important part of my life.