April 5, 2009

Obama and Peace Corps

I am proud of my man Obama and I know the job he has before him right now is an incredibly difficult one. He has to not only do what is right for our country, but also do what is right right now. That includes helping our economy, finishing the war in Iraq, mending our health care system, improving our education system and, one particular issue which is very close to my heart, expanding the Peace Corps. If it seems like Peace Corps is less important than those other issues right now, that's because it is. Obama will increase the budget of Peace Corps and I am working hard to encourage that, but doing what's right right now means Obama also has to focus on this year's budget, stimulating our economy first.

Obama said, "To restore America's standing, I will call on our greatest resource not our bombs, guns or dollars - I will call upon our people. We will double the size of the Peace Corps by its 50th Anniversary in 2011. And we will reach out to other nations to engage their young people in similar programs, so that we work side by side to take on the common challenges that confront all humanity...we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourid and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds."

I have always felt like Obama was my Lincoln and my Kennedy; I have been behind him for years and I will support him for years to come. I have faith that he will take care of Peace Corps and usher in a new era of service within our nation. I think this organization's time for renewal has come, and I believe I will still be in Peace Corps to watch it happen, but I think it will require hardwork, letters to our representatives and patience from us.