November 18, 2006

Little Voice

If you want to change the world, first try to improve and bring about change within yourself. That will help change your family. From there it just gets bigger and bigger. Everything we do has some effect, some impact. – The Dalai Lama

I have written on the topic of changing the world before, but I come back to it about seven months later after reading this recent quote from the Dalai Lama. How do we bring about change in ourselves? How do we “set our hearts right” as Confucius says? I think it starts with the small voice in us that tells us what we should be doing: maybe calling someone, apologizing to someone, or starting something great. We might need to exercise more, spend more time reading or writing, hugging our family, or maybe just talking someone to see how they are. Usually it’s something small, but then maybe that’s why it’s a small voice. As far as I can figure, when I get those small things in order I start to see big change elsewhere. Maybe that’s where the old saying comes from. Makes sense to me.