December 3, 2006

A Wonderful Life

I think I’m beginning to understand the quote that “there can be too much of a good thing.” I’ve found it only takes a few favorite websites before they become overwhelming, a few fun classes before there isn’t enough time to do well in them, a few best friends before there isn’t time to spend with each of them and a few service clubs before I am spread thin.
When we die nothing can be taken with us but the seeds of our life’s work and our spiritual knowledge,” says the Dalai Lama and similarly “All you can take with you is that which you’ve given away,” said the photo from the movie It’s A Wonderful Life which I watched tonight. George Bailey, the main character in the movie, says early on “I want to do something big with my life.” His dad tells him that we they do at the Building and Loan company is big, in their own little way, but it isn’t until late in the movie that George learns this lesson. I thought of many things when I watched this, including the saying of Confucius that we must first change ourselves, then our families, then our friends and so forth to make big change. And I also thought about my life. I have always said I wanted to do something big, but as I think about what I can really take with me from this wonderful life I believe it will always be what I leave behind. It’s a wonderful lesson.