February 7, 2007

Philosopher's Stone

Two years ago I wrote about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or Philosopher's Stone for you U.K. folks) and I am pleased to say I watched the movie again with Pawan and David last night. It's an incredible series of films, ranked number 3 in my list of top overall movies ever, and I think the first film still stands as my favorite. It's philosophical, hilarious, innocent and full of lessons for people of every age. I love watching how everything works together, how much the characters grow with one another and how much we all have to learn from each other as well. Like I mentioned in the other entry above, one of my favorite quotes comes from Professor Dumbledore regarding the Mirror of Erised:

“Back again Harry? I see that you, like many others before you have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised. I trust now, you realize what it does. Let me give you a clue. The happiest man on earth would look in the mirror and only see himself exactly as he is.”

“So then, it shows us what we want…Whatever we want?”

“Yes, and no. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest and most desperate desires of our hearts. Now you Harry, who have never known your family, you see them standing beside you. But remember this, Harry, this mirror gives us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away in front of it, even gone mad. That is why tomorrow it will be moved to a new home. And I must ask you not to go looking for it again. It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live.”

I wondered, as we watched the movie last night, what I would see if I looked into a mirror like that. I don't think I would see myself exactly as I am...but I would like to.