May 5, 2007

Journaling

Journaling is an interesting endeavor. It can be anything you want it to be. It can be paper-based or computer-based, it can be introverted or extroverted, it can be blog-like or private-like. Or, it can be some weird mix of the six, like it is with me. Sometimes I write in journals, but often I type away like crazy. Sometimes I write about what's going on in my life, but often I type about things I see or my opinions of things going on around me. Sometimes I publish what I write, but often (and this might seem crazy because of how many entries I have on blogger) I don't show anyone the journal entries I've written. I'm not mysterious or secretive, but just private. Whatever the case though, I think journaling is a helpful activity for just about everyone. There are a lot of things that go on in our lives, day to day, and it's hard to keep track of it all. For posterity, for perspective, for analysis and for a little bit of inner peace, I think journaling is a really great thing to do. If you want to start, try out different things: a paper journal, a composition book, a three-ring binder, a blog, a xanga, facebook notes, word documents or notepad notes. Whatever helps you to actually write and get thoughts out, do it. You'll be glad you did, I promise.