May 20, 2007

Love

Isn't it interesting how some of the most important things in life are the hardest to figure out? Like...love, for instance. It's hard for me to get my mind around. How unselfish is it? How universally compassionate is it? How enjoyable is it? In the universal sense, I get the feeling that true love should be expressed towards all people, not just one's family. But at the same time, I think one of the places we learn most about love is in our families. In the unselfish sense, I think love thinks about others more quickly than it thinks about oneself, that it takes into consideration the thoughts, feelings, wants and needs of others before it satisfies its own needs. However, if we were to only care about what others think and feel, want and need, than would we ever feel satisfied. How enjoyable would that be? It's hard to know what the right answer is, but I think love and compassion weigh very heavily the thoughts and feelings of others before it dives into its own wants and needs. Love, I think, sees all of the suffering in the world (including the suffering that we personally create) and it tries to eliminate that suffering as best it can. I think it is great that we can enjoy things in this world, such as a beautiful sunset, or a nice song on an mp3 player, or a great episode of Lost, but I really think far more important than that are the people around us whose lives we can improve by serving them and helping them to be happy. We become happy when we make our wants few, I have heard. I think I agree.