May 22, 2009

Hard to Explain

I haven’t had a lot of time to write down my thoughts during this trip home to America, even though I have probably had more complex thoughts in the last few weeks than I have had in the last several months; my year in Mongolia, the new ways I look at America, happiness, success, wealth, relationships, family, friends, home…I think about everything differently. It has been nice to talk about everything with all of you who I have been lucky enough to see, really nice in fact, but it still feels like so much to sort out. All at once I am overwhelmed, elated, proud, disappointed, amused, saddened, afraid, appreciative, smiling, shaking my head, talking and yet wanting to say nothing at all. It’s confusing for me, and even harder to explain. It’s also not good or bad, it just is.

I suppose my point in writing this is just that I think we all go through significant experiences in our lives and they help us to better understand our place in the world. We find out who we are and what we believe in. I have learned so much in this last year, it just blows me away. I feel very fortunate and hope I make the best of all the lessons I have learned. Maybe someday very soon I will write them down as well as share them individually with each of you, about which I am very excited.