September 1, 2005

Change

It’s often hard for me to imagine a time or a place other than what is now. For example, it seems very normal to me that my room has fluorescent light instead of incandescent light, however this is new change. Soon enough students will not even think about having to pay to do their laundry and old codgers like myself will be a thing of the past. Collect quarters? Why?
A few of us thought about change the other day and Chase said, “You know change is happening too fast when the young people, like us, are starting to reject it.” Josh Sands harkens back to the days when you actually talked with a bank teller, when you smiled at the lunch lady, and when individuals seemed to matter more. Yet, I wonder where all this change is going anyway.
Is it emphasizing the individual like we often think it is? Are we really making people’s lives better by serving more and more people with more and more complex machinery? Or is it possible that we are beginning to get to that point, the point where we really have to start making new rules.
Rules like, there can only be 12.5 billion people on this planet or the United States can only use 12% of the natural resources of the Earth. Might we get to the point where people will need to establish worldwide systems of order to protect the majority of humans? If not, what kind of chaotic storm will sweep through civilization to create order?
I didn’t plan to discuss world government when I considered my dorm room’s fluorescent bulb, but doesn’t it seem like most change is leading us to some destination. Or at least, aren’t we being lead along some journey whose end I do not yet see. I don’t know myself, but I figure one way to get ready for the future is to watch how other people got ready for it. Most of us are naturals, we are young, ready for change and even creating it ourselves sometimes. I just hope we ask ourselves “why” as often as we ask “how.”