September 5, 2005

Sharpening

Often I tell myself that I am too busy to write in my journal. I think the truth is, those are the moments when I am not truly busy and instead just doing stuff. President Lincoln said, if given eight hours to cut down a tree, he would spend seven hours sharpening his axe and one hour cutting the tree. Most people don’t think that way, but I would like to.
I have great opportunities afforded me by great events, if I am not careful I will saw with a dull blade all day and get nowhere. I want very much to be smart, thoughtful and contemplative. I want to be awake to my opportunities, decisive in my actions and meditative in all my activities. I might well be busy during any given time, but I am never to busy to do nothing. My blade is too useful of a tool to waste by using it.