January 18, 2010

Consistency


"I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson

Consistency is key in life. In fitness, in projects, in raising children, in character, in leadership, in learning a new language, in sports, in everything. It doesn't matter how fancy things look one day a week, it's every day that matters. Do you workout once a week like crazy or exercise every day? Do you play basketball like crazy right before a tournament or do you practice every day? Excellence is not an act, it is a lifestyle. It isn't reasonable to expect greatness after a little work. It's craziness for me to think I can achieve any greatness in way except little by little, day by day, every day. My Peace Corps experience has demonstrated that to me like nothing else in my life.

I have to expect the same thing from myself as I do my students and my colleagues, daily effort in meaningful work. That is how projects get done, how Tunga is learning English, how I am completing work: stitch by stitch, word by word and activity after activity. There is no magic and no luck to it, success will come to those who work hardest for it often behind the scenes when no one is looking.