January 7, 2010

Unquantifiable

When someone asks you to tell them about an incredible experience in your life, that can be hard enough. But what about when someone asks you to show them? How do you quantify an unquantifiable experience? Some people write books, make movies, take pictures, or write music. With our newest project we are taking a different approach, one that's been around for a long time. We make badges.

All the way to Eagle Scout, badges played a significant part in my life as a Boy Scout. Nothing could sum up my entire Scouting experience, but badges represent my struggle, experience and achievement like nothing else. My Eagle Scout badge is one of the few things that I brought with me to Peace Corps, in fact. It reminds me of the honor and responsibility that comes with my experiences.

That has been my continuing motivation behind Peace Corps Merit Badges, sharing valuable reminders that represent incredible experiences. The Peace Corps experience is something of great honor and responsibility and something, like my Eagle Scout badge, that I want to carry with my for the rest of my life.