January 21, 2007

Ignorant

Peta bothers me. The videos they show are horrible, the change they request is large and the evidence they use is powerful. Every person is making a difference, whether they are eating animal products or not. 100 animals are not killed every year for every 1 human that is a vegetarian, they quote on their website. And for every reason a person might not become a vegetarian, they have answers. Peta bothers me not because anything they do is wrong, but because what I think I am doing is wrong. I am going throughout my day not thinking about my impact on the world around me. I am claiming ignorance, or wanting to, while at the same time knowing there are videos a few clicks away which can show me the true darkness of my ignorance. I used to turn off videos on the Peta website because I couldn't handle watching them, but I don't think that's good enough any more. I think I want to change my way of living to reflect what is important to me. I don't want to be ignorant any more.