January 16, 2007

Who Am I?

Who am I? Am I meant to go through high school from age 14 to 18, college from 18 to 22, Peace Corps from 22 to 24, a masters program from 24 to 26, a graduate school from 26 to 30, a fellowship from 30 to 32, developing a professional career from 32 to 36, gaining experience in the field from 36 to 46, offering leadership and management from 46 to 56, mentoring from 56 to 66 and teaching maybe from 66 to 86 with Peace Corps and other leadership positions? First, what’s with all the sixes? Second, am I thinking about things a bit too much? The only answer I’m really sure of is the last one, which probably is yes.

In college most people define themselves; we find out what we are not, what we are, what we stand for and what we believe in. Or at least, as is especially the case with me, we find out a little bit about each of those things. I am not sure who I am or who I am going to be, but I think it has a lot more to do with smiles, friends, adventures and love than it has to do with days, numbers, years or titles. I hope I live in a way that makes me an incredible and wonderful person regardless of my age, occupation or status. I don’t imagine that will ever change.