January 11, 2007

In The Water

I am very impressed with M. Night Shyamalan and his vision for his films. Lady in the Water, which Chase, David, Pawan and I watched tonight, was an incredible movie. It has the bedtime story behind it which makes it comforting and frightening, just like the stories my dad told me when I was younger. It’s not easy to predict (which is a hallmark for M. Night Shyamalan) but instead it was gripping because I was right there when the characters were discovering things. It kept me on the edge of my seat, made me cry toward the end and left everyone touched in the story a different person by the end. Some characters found their purpose, some knew what would happen with their lives and some stepped up to become who they were meant to be; they had to.

I don’t think we are meant to know everything about our lives. In fact, as my dad asked me over the break, who would prefer a life that was already laid out for them? If we could design our own lives and we could write our own story, how would it go? If all of our suffering, our triumphs, our strengths and our disappointments were there for a reason, what reason would that be? And what kind of life would we then make for ourselves, knowing we were designing it? I don’t think it’s easy to answer these questions but it is important. I think we are designing our lives right now, whether we like it or not.