January 12, 2008

Run Deep


Resting....
Photographed by nicolas valentin
Ever heard the saying, "Smooth waters run deep" or "Still waters run deep"? My mom used to tell me that when I was younger and I liked it. It made me think of my last name which was chosen because it meant "clear waters" or "calm stream" in Swedish. Generally I think the saying can refer to the deepness of a person, their complexity, their philosophy and their contentedness. In my experience, those people who have strong believes and think deeply also enjoy a consistent level of happiness in their lives. They have ups and downs, but usually they remain pretty happy almost all of the time. I think about the quote every now and then, but I saw it today on 43things.com and I think this may have been its source. Thanks Shakespeare.

“Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep.”
- William Shakespeare